The BMW Vintage & Classic Car Club of America has organized a number of road events, which are open to its members with BMW vehicles at least 25 years old.
- On October 12, 2013 the year’s final event of the BMW V&CCCA, the Club Holiday 2013, began with a meet-n’-greet gathering organized by Frank Greppo at Saratoga Springs’ The Parting Glass pub with more than 150 BMW enthusiasts assembled for a colorful buffet dinner, tall tales about BMW-experiences, and friendly camaraderie prior to what turned out to be a fabulous week on the by-ways of up-state New York. The BMW V&CCCA Club Holiday included trips to famed Lime Rock Park in Connecticut, an overnight visit to two-times Winter Olympics site Lake Placid, day-trips to Lake George and finally Cooperstown. It was a wonderful week with wonderful people and a BMW automotive history spanning 80 years: The oldest participating vehicle in the event was Jim and Mary True’s 1934 BMW 309 and a 2014 loaner provided by BMW NA, a brand new 640 Gran Coupe.
Please see “THE BMW V&CCCA CLUB HOLIDAY 2013 IN SARATOGA SPRINGS, NY” report by Frank Greppo and Scott Stowell on the Articles page.
- On September 7, 2013 fourteen teams of Club-members checked into the Steigenberger Hotel in central Hamburg, Germany to launch the BMW V&CCCA’s Eastern Germany Tour, a two-week, 1,700 km (1,060 mile) adventure through some of the most picturesque parts of Germany’s east, an area long inaccessible to tourists from the West due to the Soviet influence over its East German satellite, until reunification of the two Germanys in 1990. The participating teams came from the U.S., the U.K., Canada and Germany, a wonderful group of enthusiasts, most of whom had previously joined some of our earlier rallies in North America.
A detailed report about this tour can be found on the Articles page: “BMW V&CCCA goes East for an Exciting Two-week Adventure” by Friedrich C. Bayer.
- In early April 2013 a number of our Club-members met in Ismaning, Germany, at our favorite Munich-area stop-over, Hotel Gasthof Soller, for our 5th visit to Techno Classica in Essen. After a couple of days in Munich’s environs, including visits to the newly reorganized Mirbach collector-car dealership in Riedering, to the Erwin Brummer restoration and service shop in Valley, and the obligatory pilgrimage to BMW Welt and the fabulous BMW Museum, we set off for Essen (via Pilsen, CZ and a short visit to the Matejcek restoration shop) for two full days of meeting old friends and viewing the most incredible display of vintage and classic automobiles, motorcycles and anything related to the history of automobiles at the 25th Techno Classica in Essen.
See “2013 Techno Classica Tour – A First Timer’s Perspective” by Mike Ura on the Articles page for details.
- On July 10, 2011 28 collector BMWs (and BMW-powered classics) plus 5 support vehicles set off from Vancouver, B.C. for a two-week rally organized as the British Columbia & Alberta – Canada Expedition 2011. The group traveled some of Western Canada’s magnificent coast line, majestic Rocky Mountains along glittering glaciers and crystal-clear rivers and streams.
The Canada Expedition, 2,300 miles (3.700 km) of mostly secondary roads started on July 9th, crossing by ferry to picturesque Victoria on Vancouver Island, traversing the island from south to north with a side-trip to Tofino on the Pacific side of the island, then taking a 15-hour ferry trip along the Inside Passage to Prince Rupert, from there across the northern tier of British Columbia to Jasper, Alberta, then south to the Banff and Lake Louise area in Alberta, and, after a rest day in Lake Louise, west again to Nelson, Vernon and Whistler, all in B.C., and finally back to Vancouver on July 22 for a festive awards banquet in the elegant Fairmount Hotel Vancouver.
It was a wonderful trip, - without any breakdowns, with many old friends seeing each other for the first time since our 2008 California Marathon or our 2010 Texas Holiday.
Participants for the Canada Expedition 2011 came from the U.S., from Germany, from the U.K., from the Netherlands, Switzerland and Canada. Six of the cars in the rally had been shipped to Vancouver from Germany, Switzerland and the U.K. Additional European teams were able to use cars made available by Lothar Schuettler, by Ed Ullom and by Goetz Pfafflin, so that in total we had 11 European teams in our midst, making the Canada Expedition a truly international event. (See the Gallery for photos of the event . . . coming soon.)
- In April 2010 16 vintage and classic BMW cars joined the Texas Hill Country Holiday – 2010 for a one-week tour to enjoy the incredible explosion of wild flowers around Fredericksburg. In addition to the fabulous wild flowers, highlights of the Holiday included visits to the unique Trois Estate near Fredericksburg, the town of Luckenbach, a lunch-visit with Jacques and Karen Vaucher at L’Art et L’Automobile near Harper, TX, another lunch-stop at the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum near Vanderpool, TX and an afternoon bus-trip into San Antonio to experience the Alamo and the city’s famed River Walk. While the vehicles participating in this Holiday were all U.S.-owned, three of the teams came from Europe, enjoying this very attractive part of Texas campaigning cars provided by Club-members Bill & Star Young and by Manny & Renate Carter.
- In July 2009 the BMW V&CCCA joined the Allegheny Chapter of the BMW CCA in the celebration of BMW as Marque of the Year at the 2009 Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix. The 5-day event from July 15 to 19 included a welcome dinner on Wednesday, a 120 mile “Covered Bridges Tour” on Thursday, a 150 mile “Driving Tour of the Laural Highlands” including a lunch stop at the fabulous Nebacolin Resort and an afternoon visit to the famed Falling Waters house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, and finally a great weekend at Pittsburgh’s Schenley Park for a BMW Concours d’Elegance, vintage racing and wonderful camaraderie among the enthusiasts who had brought more than 300 BMW to Pittsburgh for the weekend.
- In August 2008 again about 50 vintage and classic BMW vehicles, again including the four motorcycle teams, who had joined in 2004, participated in the 2,300 mile California Marathon, a 16-day event with start and finish in Aptos, CA. The Marathon included a weekend at Laguna Seca for the mid-August historic races, a visit to the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, visits to four wineries in the Russian River valley, an afternoon as guests of Jim and Gloria Smith in Sonoma, and a magnificent drive along California Route 1, through the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, a stop-over at Lake Tahoe and a drive through Yosemite National Park.
- In September 2006 a small group of vintage and classic BMW cars enjoyed the Wisconsin / U.P. – Michigan Holiday 2006, which traversed the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, with a start and finish location in Elkhart Lake, WI. Among this rally’s highlights was an overnight stop on Mackinac Island, crossing the majestic Mackinac Bridge, visiting Marquette and Copper Harbor on Lake Superior, and returning to Elkhart Lake, where the rally participants enjoyed a number of parade laps on the Road America race track during a weekend of the CCA’s driving school at the track.
- In July 2005 15 vintage and classic BMW cars joined the 2005 Colorado Holiday, a 1,200 mile rally along fabulous mountain routes through the Colorado Rockies, including 6 passes with elevations over 10,000 ft (3,000 m), and visits to the Rocky Mountain National Park as well as the Mesa Verde National Park. While the vehicles in this event were all North-American based, three European teams joined the event with borrowed cars.
- In September 2004 about 50 vintage and classic BMW vehicles, including 4 BMW motorbikes, participated in the 2004 BMW Vintage Marathon – USA, a 2,500 mile rally through 13 eastern states. The rally started at BMW NA headquarters in Woodcliff Lake, NJ and ended at BMW’s North American manufacturing site in Spartanburg, SC. Participation was equally split between entries from the U.S. and from Europe, and between pre- and post WW II vehicles.
Additional events will be organized in the future. Please see the “Events” section for a preview of some near-term rallies.
In case of any questions please contact:
Goetz E. Pfafflin
4862 Silver Sage Court
Boulder, CO 80301
Phone: (303) 300-9946
Mobile: (303) 808-9135
Fax: (303) 575-3234